How do I make a user a universal group administrator for site licenses?
There are two common use cases for site license group administrators.
- You or someone at your company wants to add and remove users from site license groups.
- You want to setup someone outside your company to add and remove users from a site license group. This is normally an employee of the group itself. For this scenario, see this KB article.
This article is for scenario #1.
A universal group administrator does NOT inherit the group's subscriptions and mailing list associations. For an employee at your company, this is most often desired.
Universal group administrators do NOT count toward the limit set in Site License Maximum User Count (site.license.max.users). Again, for an employee at your company, this is most often desired.
Definition: a universal group administrator is one that can add and remove users from ALL site license groups using the tools at /admin/licenses.
Business reason for setting up a group administrator: it would be be time consuming to add a team member to all of your site license groups. Save yourself time by setting up the team member as a universal group administrator.
Background: your site has a privilege called Admin Site License Manager. That privilege makes a user a universal group admin.
Option 1: add the privilege Admin Site License Manager to the user.
1. In the User Manager, edit the user's privileges in the. Go to Users and select the user you wish to make an Admin.
2. Select the user and then scroll down to Privileges
3. Add the privilege Admin Site License Manager to the user and click save. The user is now a universal group administrator and can add and remove users to ALL groups using /admin/licenses.
Option 2: add the priviledge to a role.
If you have a larger team managing site licenses, then it might make more sense for you to add the privilege Admin Site License Manager to a role. See this article for instructions on adding or editing a role and associating privileges to it.
1. Once you have the role setup, then edit the user's roles in the User Manager. The user manager and select your user's name. Scroll down to the roles section.
2. Add the role that has the privilege Admin Site License Manager to the user and click save. The user is now a universal group administrator and can add and remove users to ALL groups using /admin/licenses.