How do I create a new product?
This article will show you how to create a new product and includes tips on setting pricing, enabling shipping, adding an image, associating discount codes or offers with the product and customizing your order confirmation email.
In your dashboard, under Revenue, select Products.
Click the + icon on the top right.
You may also edit existing products by clicking Search & Edit or Edit by ID.
2. Name Your Product, add a teaser (preview text), and Main Description.
3. Select a product type in the dropdown.
4. Depending on the product type you choose, a different set of options will open up. For example, a book will require:
Note that you may upload a Digital Copy here, as well, if you are selling a book, as well as a Table of Contents in PDF format.
5. Add your product description. This is the main body of your landing page.
Consider SEO in your product description.
6. Assign an Internal ID for tracking and an External ID if desired.
These are not required.
PURPOSE: This is often used for publishers who need to send orders to an inventory control or CRM database that records orders. If you are unsure whether you need to fill in this field, please talk to your Solutions Manager or your in-house contact.
If you don't see these options, scroll to the top and click on where it says "Show more fields and check these two options. They will show up below once you check them.
7. If your product will be shipped, and you are adding a shipping fee, assign a weight and enable shipping.
The weight is used to determined the shipping fee. For more on setting up shipping fees, read: How do I update shipping rates?
8. If your product is taxable, click the box next to Taxable?
9. Add notes on product availability if necessary, such as "On backorder" or "Limited quantities available."
Note: This feature is not tied into inventory management program, but it can be used manually to show customers whether a product is backordered, low in quantity or another special circumstance.
If you would like to integrate product availability on your website with a third-party fulfillment or inventory management vendor, information on availability can be placed here using an API or other automated method. Please speak with your Solutions Manager to determine whether this is possible with a specific vendor.
10. Do you want to limit the number a buyer can purchase? Set the quantity under Purchase Limit or, if you don't want a limit, set it at the maximum of 9999.
For example, if you are selling a PDF file, set the Purchase Limit to 1. But you may not want to limit the number of books someone can purchase. Set that to the maximum allowed.
11. Select a vendor, or leave this blank. It is not required.
You may add a new vendor here at the bottom next to Create a new vendor.
12. Select Browse to add an image from the Media Manager to be associated with your product.
The thumbnail of this image will appear both in product search results and next to the product description on the landing page.
13. Select your Site Placement.
This is highly specific to individual websites. Please contact your solutions manager with any questions on Site Placement.
14. Add a teaser.
15. Add keywords by typing them into the box.
16. Set the price.
The only required field is Cost, which is the price of the product. You may also add an Orig. Cost, which would allow you to display a discount. For example, if the Orig. Cost of the article is $10, and the Cost is $9, the product page would show a 10% discount.
17. To add pricing based on quantity, set a minimum and maximum quantity, as well as the cost. Add a description for that pricing tier.
17.1. Add an additional pricing tier by clicking Add more on the right.
17.2. Add the details for that pricing tier.
To show the discount your customer is receiving by purchasing at that quantity, include the Orig. Cost here as the price of buying one item. In this case, $10. Depending on your website's design, the product will display as 10% off.
17.3. To delete a pricing tier, click Delete on the right.
18. Click Save at the top.
19. Click "Include in Search Results" if you wish your product to be search-able on your site.
20. If you'd like to assign an Author, select an author here.
This may be applicable in cases where you are selling a book, for example.
21. Add a custom confirmation email message, which will be sent along with the default receipt your customer will receive.
A confirmation email will be sent to your customers immediately after purchase. The confirmation email content provides you with an opportunity to customize the messaging they will receive. The content entered here will also appear in your online receipt after purchase/registration.
If you don't see this field automatically you'll find it under show more options at the top right. Check that to show it.
22. Assign Classification and Topic/Category taxonomy, which is highly site-specific.
For Classification taxonomy, it is critical that you choose a Product Type child, if you want to apply US sales tax when purchasing this item.
Please contact your solutions manager with any questions.
23. Click Save.
24. Navigate to the SEO tab.
25. If desired, update the URL, Browser Title and Meta Description. You may also want to import or update the keywords.
26. Click Save.
27. To associate a discount code or offer with your product, click Offers under Revenue.
28. You may Browse Offers to associate an existing offer with your product or create a new offer.
Learn more about creating discount codes or offers in this article: How do I create discount codes or offers?
29. If you'd like to associate related content:
Variations: If you have variations for your product, use this link. For example, if your book is available in soft- and hard-cover versions, you may create two variations. The option to buy one or the other will then automatically appear on the product landing page itself. Learn more in: How do I create product variations?
Bundles: Do you want to create bundles of products? An example: Two related books. To do that, click Bundles, and follow the instructions in: How do I create product bundles?
Media: Associate media with your product. Follow the same process as with associating media with articles or blog posts.
Related: To learn more about associated related content, read How do I select related articles, blog posts, listings, events, products and more to appear next to my content?
eCommerce Tax: eCommerce tax, if needed, can be set up by ePublishing. Please contact your solutions manager with any questions.
Custom: Custom fields are set up by ePublishing. Please contact your solutions manager with any questions.